Jan 15, 2018 - Vaccitech, an Oxford University spinout company developing a universal flu vaccine, among other vaccine-related products, has secured £20m ($27.1m) in Series A financing.
The round was co-led by new investors GV, SEQUOIA CHINA, and existing backer OXFORD SCIENCES INNOVATION, which manages a £600m fund aimed at Oxford University spinouts. NEPTUNE VENTURES joined in participation. In total, Vaccitech has now raised £30m since inception in 2016.
Vaccitech is currently a clinical stage company, with six total products that are based on inducing cellular immune responses using non-replicating viral vectors for treatment or prophylaxis against diseases at various stages. The CD8+ T-cell responses induced by the proprietary platform are among the highest reported in any human trials.
The portfolio of the company includes:
• A universal influenza vaccine in evaluation in a Phase 2b efficacy trial, in which 862 people are enrolled in the first year of a two-year study.
• Vaccitech’s prostate cancer therapeutic is current at Phase I, and has shown high level immune T cell responses to the self-antigen 5T4, indicating strong potential applicability of the vaccine platform to cancer in general.
• A Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) prophylactic is currently beginning Phase 1 studies at Oxford University.
• A Human Papillomavirus (HPV) therapeutic, a Hepatitis B (HBV) therapeutic, and another infectious disease asset are in late preclinical development.
The company, spun out by Oxford University Innovation in 2016, is commercialising the research of vaccine development specialists Adrian Hill and Sarah Gilbert, who developed the underpinning technology at Oxford University’s Jenner Institute. The work of Hill and Gilbert attracted Thomas Evans as its CEO, who relocated from the US to the UK for the role. Evans is a vaccine veteran….
• OXFORD SCIENCES INNOVATION
• THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD
• EMERGENT BIOSOLUTIONS
• BATAVIA BIOSCIENCES
• OXFORD GENETICS
• OXFORD UNIVERSITY INNOVATION
• OXFORD UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS (OUH)"
The Oxford Science Park
- 4573 Biotechnology
- Company Number
- Private Limited Company
- Company Age
- 2 years
- January 27, 2016
- Nature of Business
- 72110 - Research and experimental development on biotechnology
- Year End
- January 31
- Accounts Due
- October 31, 2018
- Latest Accounts
- January 31, 2017
RT @OnlineMEXICONOW: Meet @vaccitech, a #startup looking to manufacture more affordable, efficient vaccines: https://t.co/sOVDWEnxUc #Entr…
RT @USEmbassyMEX: Luis Rodríguez es creador de @vaccitech, empresa dedicada a la producción de vacunas bajo demanda para atender enfermedad…
@Rodpac @beltrandelrio @goliveros innovación mexicana de alto impacto presente en el mundo.#GES2017 https://t.co/M8COTsgO1U
RT @GES2017: Thank you attendees for your electrifying energy and making the #GES2017 launch a grand success. We look forward to seeing you…
RT @GES2017: We're gearing up for #GES2017. Are you? https://t.co/SN8l9XjAXx
So proud to be selected to be pitching at @GES2017 see you soon!!